Book Description: As Hollywood’s go-to nutritionist and New York Times bestselling author of The Beauty Detox Solution and The Beauty Detox Foods, Kimberly Snyder knows that there is so much more to being truly healthy and achieving and maintaining weight loss than counting calories and working out. The secret is aligning your mind and body. In The Beauty Detox Power, she shares the diet and lifestyle changes that are the foundation of her signature program and will nourish your mental and emotional well-being.Read More
Skin is an organ. Whenever something is going on inside the body, it can show outwardly on our skin before we even are aware that there is a problem. But sometimes, our habits can be aging our skin far faster than it should. The entire body goes through an aging process. It is a fact of life. But, you don’t have to look your true age.
We aren’t talking about getting plastic surgery or using fancy products on your skin. One of the best ways to slow down the skin aging process is by changing our daily habits. Here are a few of the habits that could be making you old right now.
* Too much time in the sun – The sun is a good source of vitamin D but it can also be a source of stress for your skin. The sun gives off both UVA and UVB rays that can damage the sensitive layers of the skin. You may not know that you are doing your skin a disservice when you lay out to get a tan, but you are. Always use sunscreen or sunblock of a high SPF when you are out in the sun for any length of time. Even when the sun is stuck behind the clouds for a bit on a warm day, you are still being exposed to some rays.
* Smoking – Smoking is a good habit to break for many reasons. First it fills your lungs with particulates from the cigarette. It can lead to emphysema, lung cancer and other breathing conditions. The smoke can also remove vitamin C from the body. Lack of vitamin C can result in a loss of moisture in the skin. Dry flaky skin may be due to the habit of smoking, not the environment.
* Eating fatty foods – Foods that are filled with nutrients help the body to go about its normal functioning. When we are deprived of those nutrients, the body lacks what it needs to stay healthy. Eating fatty foods can lead to clogged pores and incidence of pimples and breakouts on the skin.
* Loss of sleep – Sleep is the body’s chance to restore and repair itself. When we short ourselves on sleep, the body doesn’t fully recharge. This can lead to a breakdown in the immune system. We aren’t able to fight off diseases as well. Puffiness and dark circles around the eyes are a result of a lack of sleep in some people.
* Stressful situations – We all have to deal with stress in some form or fashion each day. When it gets out of control, the body takes the hit. Stress can increase the free radical damage in the body. This includes the skin. We can prematurely wrinkle and lose elasticity in our skin.
What habits do you have that could be upping your age? Learn to reverse them now.Read More
The EveryGirl’s Guide to Diet and Fitness
By Maria Menounos
Retail Price $22.00
Amazon Price: $13.90
From Maria Menounos, self-proclaimed EveryGirl and host of Extra, comes a lasting weight-loss program based on the Mediterranean diet of her childhood that will encourage women to think “smarter, simpler, healthier”—a personal mantra that helped the star lose (and keep off!) forty pounds.
TV host and journalist Maria Menounos was once more than forty pounds overweight, low on energy, and often sick. Desperate for a change, she tried a wide array of diet and exercise fads—with zero success. Like most EveryGirl out there, Maria lacked the time, money, energy, and willpower to get in shape.
Determined to overcome those obstacles, Maria spent a year developing commonsense diet, exercise, and lifestyle techniques that transcended traditional nutrition and weight-loss plans. As a result, she lost the extra pounds, regained her energy and health—and saw her career take off. Now, applying those techniques and bolstered by the wisdom, insight, and secrets of some of the world’s leading health and fitness experts—as well as the glamorous, superfit superstars she interviews regularly—Maria has created the ultimate no-time, no-money, no-willpower guide to losing weight, getting fit, and gaining long-term health and success: The EveryGirl’s Guide to Diet and Fitness.
Inside, you’ll discover all of Maria’s secrets:
• her 9-step plan for losing weight fast
• her lifelong plan for health and well-being
• a complete blueprint for rebuilding your physical and emotional foundation
• healthy, delicious, and easy-to-prepare recipes
• the quickest, easiest, most effective workouts (no gym or trainer required!)
• 1,000+ tips, tricks, and techniques for losing weight, getting fit, and staying that way
• how to do it all when time and money are in short supply
The EveryGirl’s Guide to Diet and Fitness is simply the most complete, effective, and convenient manual for all the EveryGirls out there who lack the time, money, or willpower to change. It’s not merely a weight-loss book. It’s a guide to help you get fit, feel healthy, be productive, and embark on a longer, happier, healthier life!
~Reviewed by Briana W.
Dubbed the “Female Beauty MacGyver” by Access Hollywood, Alexis Wolfer shares with you 131 easy, all-natural, affordable, and effective recipes that feed your beauty. Combining the best recipes from her personal archives with DIY beauty secrets and food recipes shared with her by chefs, beauty editors, and celebrities (including Kristen Chenoweth, Brooklyn Decker, Vanessa Williams, Molly Sims, Byrdie Bell, Donna Karan, and more), The Recipe For Radiance will take you into your kitchen to discover the food-based beauty secrets even the most well-pampered women rely on to look their best.
Each chapter in The Recipe for Radiance addresses a different beauty concern—acne, fine lines and wrinkles, brittle nails, lackluster hair, sun spots, cellulite, chapped lips, under-eye circles, and more—giving you the inside scoop on the causes and symptoms of the most common beauty concerns along with their food-based solutions. Sample recipes include:
Strawberry + champagne serum to fight wrinkles
Avocado + oatmeal revival mask to heal dry skin
Sweet potato chips + cumin dip to even skin tone
Creamy kale and walnut salad to reduce under-eye circles
Sweet watermelon serum to soothe sunburn
Be prepared to cook yourself beautiful, all the while saving money on products and keeping your beauty routine chemical free.
~Reviewed by Sherrie B.